You’ve probably heard by now that Facebook have opened up Instagram ads to the public. Businesses, including mobile app publishers, can now display their ads in the Instagram feed.
I’m excited about this for a couple of reasons.
1. Instagram is a rapidly growing platform & we get to use all of Facebook’s amazing ad targeting technology to run ads on this new medium.
2. The audience on Instagram is different to the audience on Facebook. This is the big one for me. We can reach a new audience with a different mindset, in a different context, using the same great ad targeting features offered by Facebook.
Unfortunately it’s not super obvious how you actually set up and run your first mobile app install campaign on Instagram.
So in this post I’ll show you the exact steps to get your first Instagram app install ad campaign up and running.
Running Your First Instagram Mobile App Install Ads
The first thing you need to do is set up a Facebook Business account.
To do that you need to have a few things already set up:
1. A personal Facebook account.
2. A Facebook advertising account that you want to move to the Business Manager.
3. A Facebook page that you want to move to the Business Manager.
Once you have everything listed above all set up, signing up for Business Manager is fairly simple. Here is what you need to do:
1. Visit business.facebook.com.
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click ‘Get Started’.
3. Log in to your personal Facebook account.
4. Proceed through the different steps.
5. Once you reach step 2, you will be asked for some info about your business. Obviously the answers will depend on your individual business. If you mainly use Facebook ads for promoting mobile apps, it’s likely you will want to select ‘App Developer’ under ‘How does your business use Facebook’.
6. Continue through & complete the final two steps following the instructions.
If you get stuck setting up Business Manager, you can find the instructions in the Facebook help documentation here.
Once you’re Facebook Business account is set up it’s time to connect your Instagram account and set up your ad campaign.
Connecting Your Instagram Account To Facebook Business Manager
Access the Facebook business manager by entering business.facebook.com in your web browser.
From the menu on the left, select ‘Business Settings’ -> ‘Instagram Accounts’.
Now just hit the big ‘Claim New Instagram Account’ button.
Now, enter your Instagram login details and click ‘Next’.
Your Instagram account will now be linked to your Facebook Business Manager. Just one more step to go before we move on to the good stuff – setting up the ads.
It’s time to assign a Facebook ad account to use with this Instagram account.
Click the ‘Assign Ad Accounts’ button.
And select the Facebook ad account you wish to use. Click ‘Save Changes’ when you’re done.
Prepare the Instagram Mobile App Install Ad Campaign
Ok, now you’ve linked your Instagram account to your Facebook advertising account you will be able to select Instagram as a placement option for your ads.
Here’s how to prepare your campaign so that your mobile app install ads show on Instagram.
Head over to the Facebook Power Editor. There is a link to it in the menu on the left side of the Business Manager. Otherwise, here is the direct link for you: https://business.facebook.com/ads/manage/powereditor/
Once you’re in the Power Editor it’s time to create a new campaign for your Instagram ads.
First, click ‘Create Campaign’.
Enter any name you like for your Campaign, Ad Set & Ad. I use the same naming convention that I use for standard FB ads.
Select the ‘Mobile App Installs’ objective.
Once you’re done, hit ‘Create’.
Now you’ve got yourself a Campaign, Ad Set & Ad. All you need to do next is configure each of them.
There isn’t anything that needs to be done at the Campaign leven, so go ahead and click the ‘Ad Sets’ tab.
Select the Ad Set you would like to edit, then click the edit button on the right of the page.
The set up process for selecting your target audience, budget, schedule etc. is all exactly the same as regular Facebook ads. The important part here is that you make sure you select ‘Instagram’ as a Placement for your ads.
Select the ad you want to edit & click the edit button on the right, just like you did for the Ad Set.
1. Now you will need to select a Facebook Page. This is the same as with standard Facebook ads.
2. Select the Instagram account you would like to use.
3. Enter your ad text.
4. Select your image.
This is a bit different to standard Facebook ads. Instagram ad images are square & have a recommended size of 1080 x 1080 pixels.
The same rule of no more than 20% text still applies here though.
You have a couple of options when it comes to the image.
You could create new images at the new size & dimensions specifically for placement on Instagram. This will obviously produce the best results but takes more work.
The other option is to use your existing Facebook ad images & crop them for Instagram ads.
You can see this in the image below. I’ve selected an image that I used in a standard Facebook ad campaign & cropped it using the tool in the Power Editor.
This obviously won’t work for all images but it might be a good time saver in some cases.
Once you’ve set up all of the Ad Sets and Ads you want to use for your campaign you’re all set!
Just like any Facebook ad campaign all you need to do now is upload the changes from the Power Editor to Facebook. As long as your ads pass the approval process you should have your first live Instagram app install ad campaign up & running in no time!
Have you tested Instagram Mobile App Install Ads yet? If you have, go ahead and share your results in the comments!